what is Gla:d®?
GLA:D® stands for Good Life with osteoArthritis in Denmark. It is a physiotherapy led education and strengthening exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis (OA) symptoms.
- OA symptom progression reduction of 32%
- less pain
- reduced use of joint related pain killers
- less people on sick leave.
GLA:D® participants also reported high levels of satisfaction with the program and increased levels of physical activity 12 months after starting the program.
who can do the gla:d® program?
The GLA:D® Australia research program is for participants that have a hip/knee joint problem. You may be excluded from completing the program if you have:
- Other reasons for your pain (such as inflammatory arthritis, tumor or fracture related pain or soft tissue injury)
- Other symptoms that are more pronounced than OA (ie. chronic pain or fibromyalgia)
- Unable to understand or communicate in English
Note: you may still be able to attend the exercise classes causally but will be ineligible to be included in the national program
Health fund rebates are available for all classes under code 560, check with you fund if you are eligible
What is involved?
- Initial assessment with physiotherapist to obtain baseline measures
- Register and consent to participation online
- Attend 2x education sessions
- Six weeks of class based exercise, 2x/week (12x1 hour classes in total)
- Follow up:
- 3 months post baseline measure
- 12 months online questionnaire
Following the initial 6 week block of classes participants have the option to:
- continue to attend classes on a casual basis (once or twice per week)
- continue with a home based exercise program
To find out more about classes or the GLA:D® Australia program:
Contact The Physio Lab on 9560 0129, email us at email@example.com or fill out the form below
Click on the GLA:D® Australia website link here: https://gladaustralia.com.au/